· Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
· Book Reviews
· Film Reviews
· Encyclopedia Entries
- 2017. Kaya, Serdar. Freedom of Expression versus Religious Sensitivities: Charlie Hebdo and Muhammad Cartoons [İfade Özgürlüğü ve Dini Hassasiyetler: Charlie Hebdo ve Hz. Muhammed Karikatürleri]. Istanbul: Liber Plus. [türkçe]
- 2010. Kaya, Serdar. Indoctrination; and Social Engineering in Turkey [Endoktrinasyon ve Türkiye’de Toplum Mühendisliği.]. Ankara: Nirengi. [türkçe]
The book examines the nation-building process in Turkey, and inquires into the genesis of the prevalent “authoritarian personality” in the country. It starts off with a detailed focus on the findings of the major social psychology experiments, such as (1) the Milgram experiment, (2) the Stanford Prison Experiment, (3) the Asch experiment, and (4) Jane Elliott's blue-eyed/brown-eyed exercise, and relates the findings of these experiments to the concept of the banality of evil, coined by Hannah Arendt. The book then evaluates the political socialization process in the country with a special focus on the cult of personality around Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Throughout the process, the book compares and contrasts the characteristics of the Turkish case to the modern concepts such as nationalism, militarism, or the nation-state. The conclusion section provides prospects about the possible outcomes of the dialectical relationship between the republicanist and the progressive discourses.
Buy: Idefix · Kitap Yurdu · Pandora · Kabalcı
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- 2017. Kaya, Serdar. "State Policies toward Islam in Twenty Countries in Western Europe: The Accommodation of Islam Index." Muslim World Journal of Human Rights 14(1) (doi: 10.1515/mwjhr-2016-0003)
- 2015. Kaya, Serdar. "Islamophobia in Western Europe: A Comparative, Multilevel Study." Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs 35(3): 450-465. (doi: 10.1080/13602004.2015.1080952)
- 2015. Kaya, Serdar. "Outgroup Prejudice from an Evolutionary Perspective: Survey Evidence from Europe." Journal of International and Global Studies 7(1): 16-31.
- 2012. Kaya, Serdar. "The Social Psychology of the Ergenekon Case: The Collapse of the Official Narrative in Turkey." Middle East Critique 21(2): 145-156. (doi: 10.1080/19436149.2012.688583)
- 2009. Kaya, Serdar. "The Rise and Decline of the Turkish "Deep State": The Ergenekon Case." Insight Turkey 11(4): 99-113.
- 2015. Kaya, Serdar. "Constructing Muslims in France: Discourse, Public Identity, and the Politics of Citizenship (by Jennifer Fredette)" Ethnic and Racial Studies 38(13): 2444-2446.
- 2011. Kaya, Serdar. "Cumhuriyet'in Dindar Kadınları [The Religious Women of the Republic] (by Fatma K. Barbarosoğlu)" Contemporary Islam 5(2): 211-212.
- 2011. Kaya, Serdar. "Velvet Jihad: Muslim Women's Quiet Resistance to Islamic Fundamentalism (by Faegheh Shirazi)" Journal of Middle East Women's Studies 7(2): 120-122.
- 2010. Kaya, Serdar. "Secularism and State Policies Toward Religion: The United States, France, and Turkey (by Ahmet Kuru)" Southeast European and Black Sea Studies 10(4): 491-493.
- 2014. Kaya, Serdar. "Yılmaz Güney's Arkadaş and Yol: The Changing Approach of the Renowned Socialist Filmmaker to Gender Equality." Siyaset, Ekonomi ve Yönetim Araştırmaları Dergisi [Research Journal of Politics, Economics and Management] 2(1): 61-65.
- 2015. Kaya, Serdar. "Hrant Dink." In The Armenian Genocide: The Essential Reference Guide. Santa Barbara, California: ABC-CLIO. pp. 113-115.
- 2014. Kaya, Serdar. "Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Politics, Volume 2. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 601-602.